How will an IPO change Twitter?
Twitter has filed to go public recently, under the name TWTR. The IPO is set to raise up to $1 billion.
Founded in 2006, Twitter is an online social networking and microblogging service that allows users to post text-based status updates and messages(or better known as tweets) of up to 140 characters in length. As of early 2013, Twitter had more than 200 million monthly active users.
Twitter is taking the next critical step in its evolution. Unmistakably, Twitter’s initial public offering is among the most anticipated in recent years. It is one the most hyped and scrutinised IPO since Facebook’s Wall Street debut one and a half years ago. To be successful, the company will need to become an advertising powerhouse and prove that the same platform can also bring tremendous business value.
“Twitter’s IPO filing marks its first release of revenue and profit figures, providing an unprecedented glimpse into the company’s financial health and growth prospects.” ~ Wired.com
With the ever-changing Social Media landscape, it can be really hard to keep up with stats and trends that affect how you use it for your business. We have compiled some really amazing Twitter statistics that can help you determine how you improve your brands on Twitter.
Amazing Twitter Marketing Statistics Every Marketer Should Know
- Twitter engagement for brands is 17% higher on weekends (BuddyMedia) Tweet This Stat!
- Tweets shorter than 100 characters get a 17% higher engagement rate (Twitter) Tweet This Stat!
- Tweets with hashtags get 2 times more engagement (SalesForce) Tweet This Stat!
- Tweets with two hashtags get 21 percent more engagement than those with three or more (Hubspot)
- Tweet This Stat!Your tweets have a 12x higher chance of being retweeted if you ask for it, and 23x higher if you actually spell out the word “retweet” (BuddyMedia) Tweet This Stat!
- 60% of users access Twitter through mobile (TheGuardian) Tweet This Stat!
- 67% of primary mobile users follow a brand on Twitter (Twitter) Tweet This Stat!
- Primary mobile users are 58% more likely to recall an ad on Twitter (Twitter) Tweet This Stat!
- Mobile Twitter users are also 181% more likely to use Twitter during their commutes (Twitter) Tweet This Stat!
- Mobile Twitter users are 127% more likely to use Twitter when they are out with friends (Twitter) Tweet This Stat!
- Mobile users are 2 times more likely to use Twitter when they wake up (Twitter) Tweet This Stat!
- Mobile users are 46% more likely to compose original tweets than the average Twitter user (Twitter) Tweet This Stat!
- Mobile users are 44% more likely to click on links (Twitter) Tweet This Stat!
- Mobile users are 66% more likely to retweet (Twitter) Tweet This Stat!
- Mobile users are 76% more likely to favourite a Tweet (Twitter) Tweet This Stat!
- Twitter will generate more than 500 million dollars in revenue this year, according to an assessment by PrivCo. This represents a doubling of the firm’s estimated 245 million dollars of revenue in 2012. (Statista) Tweet This Stat!
- Twitter depends on having active users that it can place its ads in front of. Roughly 87% of its total revenue comes from advertising, the company disclosed. (SEC) Tweet This Stat!
The most popular networks worldwide as of July 2013, ranked by number of registered accounts. Market leader Facebook was the first social network to surpass 1 billion registered accounts. Third-ranked microblogging network Twitter had over 500 million registered accounts. (Statista) Tweet This Stat!
Justin Bieber is the most-followed person on Twitter with more than 42 million followers. The most re-tweeted message was posted by US President Barack Obama’s account after winning the 2012 election – it generated almost 800,000 retweets. (Twitaholic) Tweet This Stat!
What is your favourite Twitter related statistic? Have you come across any interesting Twitter stats that we have missed? Please give them a shout in the comments section below.