Will mobile marketing add excitement to your upcoming marketing campaigns?
Since the release of legendary Slide Deck: Top 10 Mobile Internet Trends by the renown KPCB Partners Mary Meeker and Matt Murphy two years ago, we have witnessed the life-transforming impact that mobile devices have in our everyday lives. With iOS and Android hitting the critical mass, smartphones have reached a tipping point.
According to market research firm IDC, by 2014, smartphone shipments are expected to pass 1 billion for the first time, marking another milestone in the remarkable rise of smart devices. The rapid adoption of smartphones is driving a mobile Internet boom. Although the importance of mobile technologies for marketing communications is widely recognized, the use of proper strategy is not really understood by a lot of marketers.
To help determine what marketers can do and should be doing with the exponential growth in mobile device ownership, we have put together some enlightening mobile ‘nuggets’ for you. Take a look at some of these highlights we have pulled from different sources that we think will help you with your mobile marketing.
Top 20 Most Exciting Mobile Marketing Stats You Should Know
- Apple and Android represent more than 75% of the smartphone market. (comScore) Tweet This Stat!
- 30% of US consumers use mobile devices for shopping. (Nielsen Mobile Consumer Report) Tweet This Stat!
- 80% of physicians use mobile devices at work. (Information Week) Tweet This Stat!
- 46% of consumers are unlikely to return to a mobile site if it didn’t work properly during their last visit. (Gomez) Tweet This Stat!
- 37% of consumers think that most mobile sites are difficult to navigate. (econsultancy) Tweet This Stat!
Mobile Social Media
- Facebook has 1.2 billion users globally, 168.8 million in the U.S. 54% of global users access Facebook via mobile. (socialbakers) Tweet This Stat!
- Instagram – 45 million monthly average users globally. (AppData) Tweet This Stat!
- Twitter – 500 million users globally, 140 million in U.S. 60% of those users access Twitter via Mobile. (VentureBeat | AllThingsD) Tweet This Stat!
- Foursquare – 25 million users globally. (Foursquare) Tweet This Stat!
- 91% of mobile internet access is for social activities, versus just 79% on desktops. (Microsoft Tag) Tweet This Stat!
- 27% of emails are opened on mobile devices (Sirona Consulting) Tweet This Stat!
- Mobile email readership is at its peak on Saturday, and at its lowest on Monday. (Marketing Technology Blog) Tweet This Stat!
- Mobile advertising revenue is expected to reach over $11 billion worldwide this year, up from over $9 billion last year. (Gartner) Tweet This Stat!
- US Mobile advertising will reach $7.29 billion in 2013, and Google will take home more than half of it. Mobile ad revenue on Facebook is expected to reach $1 billion this year. (eMarketer) Tweet This Stat!
- $20 billion in mobile sales at eBay expected this year, up from $13 billion last year. (eBay) Tweet This Stat!
- 48% growth in mobile payments is expected in the US, going from $18 billion this year to $90 billion in 2017. (Forrester) Tweet This Stat!
- 24% of US tablet owners use their tablets to shop 2-3 times per month; 20% use them to shop more than once per week, and 12% use them to shop every day! (eMarketer) Tweet This Stat!
- By 2014, one in four mobile phone users will redeem a coupon via a mobile device. (eMarketer) Tweet This Stat!
- Mobile commerce will account for 15 percent of total e-commerce sales this year. (eMarketer) Tweet This Stat!
- 863 million units or 53 percent of new handsets will be NFC-enabled in 2015. The total payment value for NFC globally will exceed €110 billion in 2015. (Frost & Sullivan) Tweet This Stat!